As you would probably already know, if you follow us on Instagram or if you read any previous blogs from Sri Lanka, we fell in love with this beautiful country and are already planning to go back again later this year. There is just so much to see and do here and one trip is just not enough. But till then, here are our top 10 things to do in Sri Lanka:
- Sunrise Hike in Sigiriya: Either you climb the beautiful Sigiriya rock fortress or you decide to hike the Pidurangala rock opposite to Sigiriya, make sure you go early morning before the sunrise, because the views from the top are simple out of this world and the sunrise is truly magical because it is not as crowded as the sunsets are. As you watch the mist rising between the mountains, you will fall in love with the nature and that morning hike would have been worth waking up in the morning for.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Get lost in the ancient cities of Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura and explore the rich culture and history.
- Catch some Sun: Sri Lanka has some of the most stunning beaches and they are never too crowded as well. One of the Best things to do here is to just relax at the beach, get your tan on and have as many coconuts as humanly possible.
- Play around in the Paddy fields: If you are taking a road trip across SriLanka, you will be mesmerised by the beauty of this island country and you will definitely find yourself halting every few minutes to take the beauty in and admire the views. Playing in the paddy fields and watching the reflections and chatting with the locals is definitely one of our fav things to do in SriLanka.
- Tea Tasting: If you are in the hill country region, as you must, you can not miss out on the tea tasting. Srilanka is one of the biggest producers of tea and the Ceylon tea is one of the finest teas in the world. So indulge yourself in a tea tasting session, visit a tea factory and buy some of the world’s finest tea to take back home.
- Exploring temples: Sri Lanka has some of the most stunning temples in some great locations. You might have to hike a short distance for some and some take 300 stairs to reach but offer great sunset views like Dambulla cave temple. Temple of tooth relic is even a UNESCO heritage site and it is absolutely stunning and a great photo op as well. Just keep in mind to be respectful of the traditions and make sure you have your shoulders and legs covered when you visit.
- Try the Local Cuisine: Sri Lanka has some pretty awesome dishes for you to try. Their rice and curry is specially famous. Enjoying a home cooked traditional Sri Lankan meal is the best way to experience the cuisine and is so much better than trying it at a restaurant. The locals are so friendly that they will invite you in their kitchens and show you how to make their dishes. While you are there, try Kottu as well, which is basically like fried rice with lots of fresh veggies but instead of rice they use rotis. And you absolutely can not miss the king coconuts.
- Get Lost in the tea plantations: The central tea country region is simply breath taking and you will literally never get tired of the views of rolling hills covered in tea plantations. When visiting Nuwara Eliya, we suggest you to explore nearby towns while are so much prettier an you know what they say, whenever lost always take the scenic route. We loved exploring the off beat Hatton region and loved the experience.
- Staying with the Locals: This is probably our favourite thing about Sri Lanka. We stayed with locals for two nights and it is such a unique experience and gives you a totally different perspective about the country.
- Train ride: No trip to Sri Lanka can be complete without taking a train ride. The train routes are very scenic and it makes for one memorable experience as your train passes through idyllic towns and you wave at the kids from the train. In fact, the Trip ride from Kandy to Newark Eliya has been named one of the most beautiful train rides in the world. The trains can get really crowded though, so make sure you are one of the first people to hop on the train if you want to get a seat.
So these are our top 10 things to do in Srilanka. if you are looking for a perfect itinerary, read the detailed post here.
And if you are already planning a trip to Srilanka, knwo everything you need to know before planning a trip here.
Check out all our posts from our srilanka series! 🙂